general query about Flex software

Forum related to the FLEX boards

Moderator: paolo.gai

jizecn

general query about Flex software

Post by jizecn » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:12 pm

Hi, I am new to dsPIC and also dsp.
I am wondering if I have to use the Erika Enterprise and RT-Druid to program the dsPIC?

As I have one c compiler already, I would prefer continuing using that compiler. However, I want to know if it is possible to burn the program (hex) file to the chip via USB or any port. At present, I do not need any OS for my work.
Because usually I use a separate programmer to burn programs to PIC chips, however, the programmer does not support dsPIC. If I buy a FLEX board, without using EE, do I still need anything to burn program to it?

Thanks. :blink:

paolo.gai
Administrator

Re:general query about Flex software

Post by paolo.gai » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:20 pm

Dear jizecn,

You do not need to use ERIKA and RT-Druid to program the dsPIC. Microchip offers a lot of tools, notably the MPLAB IDE and the ICD2 debugger to program the board.

Programming using USB is not available yet, but it will be probably available soon (but I cannot disclose the date yet). You can use the Microchip ICD2 to program the board.

ERIKA and RT-Druid can be useful whenever you want to have some pre-built examples that covers most of the devices of the board... that usually speeds up development a lot!

bye,

Paolo

jizecn

Post by jizecn » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:17 pm

Thanks Paolo,

paolo.gai wrote:

You do not need to use ERIKA and RT-Druid to program the dsPIC. Microchip offers a lot of tools, notably the MPLAB IDE and the ICD2 debugger to program the board.

Programming using USB is not available yet, but it will be probably available soon (but I cannot disclose the date yet). You can use the Microchip ICD2 to program the board.
So does this mean that I will need to buy an ICD2 debugger or some else compatible?

ERIKA and RT-Druid can be useful whenever you want to have some pre-built examples that covers most of the devices of the board... that usually speeds up development a lot!
I look forward to trying it too. But at present, i know very little about it. So, I would like to start from something familiar (CCS c compiler), and then meanwhile learn to use Erika and RT-druid.
I am also a bit concerned about the difference between the GPL Basic version and the complete version. I had a quick glance at the pdf file, and it seems to me that there are not many major features for the complete version that I may need for my work, although I admit that I did not read them carefully and I did not understand many terms there. But if one day I may need it, I will not be able to afford it for sure. ;) :P

paolo.gai
Administrator

Post by paolo.gai » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:02 am

A few answers...

Yes, for now you\'ll have to buy an ICD2 compatible debugger. The Flex boards have an ICD2 compatible connector, ans you can connect it right away.

The complete version has an API which is a complete implementation of the OSEK OS and OIL standard (http://www.osek-vdx.org) . The Basic version is a subset of the complete API.

Bye,

PJ