Amazing Ball problems

Forum related to the FLEX boards

Moderator: paolo.gai

erikadds

Re: Amazing Ball problems

Post by erikadds » Mon May 21, 2012 11:36 am

Hi Gina,
maybe this kind of problem is related to the compiler used by MPLAB-X.
If compiler optimizations are disabled it is possible that the project dimension increases (the project includes also debug informations).

Try with another compiler version:
http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcpl ... e=en010065

I think that with the new version of Microchip compilers this kind of problems will be reduced (the dspic version will be released soon).

If you are using a Windows machine you can use MPLAB IDE. Any versions work correctly and is very simple importing the COF file (File/Import...) and programming the board.
You simply have to choose the "programmer/debugger" from the specified menu and select the device (dspic33fj256mc710) form the "Configure" menu.
You can find a lot of tutorials on the Microchip site.

Let me know if you need further support.
Regards.

gina.torres

Post by gina.torres » Wed May 30, 2012 11:57 am

Hello,

I've solved this with Paolo's help but using MPLAB IDE, with MPLAB X was impossible to create a project for that prebuilt .cof ..

Thanks.

Gina Torres

gina.torres

Post by gina.torres » Wed May 30, 2012 12:37 pm

Thanks for your reply i haven't seen it before, i had solved that programming as you said with MPLAD IDE. Now that i have the correct program in my flex board i tested if my hardware is working properly but i found that it starts calibrating and the ball doesnt go to the center, it just stops, so the control doesnt work. The UDP connection is not working properly because it doesnt blink when i connect the ethernet cable and i am sure that i set the correct IP address and off course i cant see any sent data to my PC through running PCside_AmazingBall_UDP_PIDtuning.cos. What should i do?

Should i do some other connection on the Flex Demo2 Daughter Board?.

Thanks,

Gina Torres.

paolo.gai
Administrator

Post by paolo.gai » Thu May 31, 2012 8:12 am

Hi gina,

please first use pid_ctrl_udp_codegen.cos. The one you are using waits a reference point from the PC to start the positioning...

pid_ctrl_udp_codegen.cos instead just places the ball to the center and sends the information to the PC. on the PC you should run ScicosLab in simulation using PCside_AmazingBall_UDP_Monitor.cos

Be sure to set the proper IP address. If you did not change the default IP address, the default should be:

1) set the IP of the ethernet adapter of your PC to 192.168.0.1
2) connect directly the amazing ball to the PC (not to the university network!)
3) power on the Amazing ball (the led of the amazing ball will start to blink
4) start ScicosLab, start PCside_AmazingBall_UDP_Monitor.cos in simulation to see the data.

I hope this helps...

Paolo

gina.torres

Post by gina.torres » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:09 pm

Thanks again Paolo,

I didn't know about that, i have tried pid_ctrl_udp_codegen.cos and as you said, it places the ball to the center but i cant send or receive data from the platform after doing exactly what you say in your steps. I am pretty sure that i am conecting well, the ethernet adapter in my PC has this IP address 192.168.0.1 and it doesnt establish any connection. Is there some example just to configure this connection?.

Thanks.

Gina

paolo.gai
Administrator

Post by paolo.gai » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:02 pm

The typical setup we do is the following:

- I program the amazing ball
- I connect the ethernet cable between the PC and the Amaing ball
- I connect the power to he amazing ball. the calibration/control starts, and the ball goes to the center
- the ethernet plug of the amazing ball has the leds blinking, meaning the system is sending UDP messages
- I start Scicos with the PCside_AmazingBall_UDP_Monitor.cos
- I start the simulation, and Scicos displays the data arriving from the Amazing Ball.

If you have problems on this, we can probably try together when we'll meet at the ECRTS in Pisa...

Ciao,

PJ

gina.torres

Post by gina.torres » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:00 pm

Hello Paolo,

I have solved the issue finally, the problem was that FLEX Multibus Ethernet Module was wrong connected, i mean there was a problem with the hardware, now i can receive data from the Amazing Ball. The next step is continue with my real aim. Thanks for all your support. I really appreciate it.

I'll contact you for the next doubts surely.

Thanks

Gina Torres

paolo.gai
Administrator

Post by paolo.gai » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:09 am

Good! I'm happy it worked out fine!!! :-)

Ciao,

PJ

paolo.gai
Administrator

Post by paolo.gai » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:09 am

Good! I'm happy it worked out fine!!! :-)

... but how was it possible that the Ethernet module was misplaced?

Ciao,

PJ