Burned the dsPIC 33F, it is possible replace it?

Forum related to the FLEX boards

Moderator: paolo.gai

folghera

Burned the dsPIC 33F, it is possible replace it?

Post by folghera » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:54 pm

Hi everybody,

I think I have burned the dsPIC33FJ.. on my Full-Flex board when I was trying to acquire same analog signals from a potentiometer (I am not a beginner in Electronics, but this thinks happens if you start to interface the device with something)..

I am no sure about it because seems (due to the led blinking) that my application inside the micro-processor is still running.

The problem is that I can not program anymore the board, MPLAB ICD2 application tell me that the target device (dsPIC33FJ) is wrong:

Running ICD Self Test
...Passed
MPLAB ICD 2 Ready
Connecting to MPLAB ICD 2
...Connected
Setting Vdd source to target
ICDWarn0020: Invalid target device id (expected=0xBF, read=0x0)
...Reading ICD Product ID

My question is, because I have some maschines to soldering SMT components, can I just buy a new chip and change the one on the board?

On the DSC microcontroller there is installed a special operative system when I buy the (FLEX) board?

Thank you in advance for opinions.

Ciao.

Michele Folgheraiter

paolo.gai
Administrator

Re:Burned the dsPIC 33F, it is possible replace it?

Post by paolo.gai » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:47 pm

Hi... sorry for hear that...

We tried hard to make the FLEX power supply robust and to pot resistor to protect the microcontroller... but it is not possible for -all- the pins...

The Flex board comes without RTOS installed, and for that reason you can try a rework to substitute the chip...

bye,

PJ

folghera

Re:Burned the dsPIC 33F, it is possible replace it

Post by folghera » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:14 am

Thanks Paolo.

So probably I will prepare an interface for the board.

Maybe for the next FLEX-Board you can think a possibility to change the DSC easely ;). Can be an Improvement.

In any case thanks for your work.

Michele.

paolo.gai
Administrator

Post by paolo.gai » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:21 am

Welll... when we designed the system, it was designed with that in mind. In particular, look at the board. There is a set of holes surrounding the chip. Put there a set of strip, and you\'ll find that the pinout is compatible with the Microchip PIMs (allowing you to try different chips, PIC24, and so on.

There is not a product like that simply because the strip alone costs more than the microcontroller and we did not want to raise too much the price of the boards...

Paolo

folghera

Post by folghera » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:44 am

Ok Paolo, now I understood :)

Michele.