Question about license.

Forum related to ERIKA Enterprise and RT-Druid version 2

Moderator: paolo.gai

WooHyuk

Question about license.

Post by WooHyuk » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:18 am

Hi~ I have studied Erika Kernel for few months. First, I would really appreciate evidence because Erika Enterprise is an excellent Open Source RTOS!! It really gives me a lot. Anyway, I' interested in Hierarchical Scheduling so i made an HSM patch for Erika Kernel. I want to pull it to my GitHub. I know that Erika Enterprise is GPL license but i want to be sure if i can really do that. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

PS. I developed HSM in Erika Enterprise Ver 2.4

paolo.gai
Administrator

Re: Question about license.

Post by paolo.gai » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:42 am

Yes you can!

Just remember to maintain the license as GPL2+Linking exception as it is now in the code.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPL_linking_exception

Did you do the work as part of a research project, or are you going to use it in production?

Ciao,

PJ

WooHyuk

Post by WooHyuk » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:45 pm

Thanks for reply!! We are going to refactor the HSM code in Erika Kernel. We have not proven schedulability of modified kernel so we don't have make this project actual product. We are developing it as a research up to now. For the next project, We are going to make new HSM kernel for Multicore processor such as TC275 (Infineon). I really appreciate you if you advise me about Erika Kernel. Thanks!!

paolo.gai
Administrator

Post by paolo.gai » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:06 pm

Nice work!

About ERIKA and Multicore: note that we are goint fo do a refactoring (actually far more than a refactoring) in the context of the P-SOCRATES Project (http://www.p-socrates.eu/), as we are now supporting Kalray MPPA, which has 256 cores in cluster of 16.

The current codebase will remain as it is, and in parallel we'll start the implementation of a multicore version of ERIKA which will have only one copy of the RTOS for all cores (in contrast to what is now, one copy per core).

The first informal specification are in development now, and will likely be announced by the end of the year... The implementation for Kalray is going to be released open-source by the end of the P-SOCRATES Project (Oct 2016, probably a bit before).

If you need any info about how the kernel currently works just ask on this forum (we usually reply in background, but we reply :-) ).

Ciao,

PJ