how to port to imx53 / cortex-a8 using GCC / command-line

Forum related to ERIKA Enterprise and RT-Druid version 2

Moderator: paolo.gai

alex35711

how to port to imx53 / cortex-a8 using GCC / command-line

Post by alex35711 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:05 pm

Hello all,
I have this board at home http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/sit ... e=IMX53QSB.
I want to port ERIKA RTOS onto this for self-learning and if successful contribute back to this community.

Though I went through a couple of your wikis, none seem to clarify what exactly the steps needed to accomplish what i have in mind. This is what i want

* At the end, there should be a simple imx53qsbErika.ELF RTOS image/file, which can be uploaded to target and run, using uboot already running in target , through a serial cable. A simple LED on/off application(ELF file nostdlib/static) that uses this OS layer. Alternatively both OS + APP as a single ELF also fine.

* Since i am fimiliar with embedded linux/kernel building/usage in various targets, I expect a similar simple build environment using some compiler/toolchains that can be downloaded for _free_ from the net ( GCC is preferrable ). The OS should be configurable ( e.g mono stack..etc.,.) from the command line and just built. Is OIL necessary ?

* I have a virtualized windows/ubuntu host/dev m/c, no problem. What other TOOLS needed, other than ERIKA downloads.

* JTAG/GDB-like debugger support? though _not_ needed immediately. I can live with debug log messages for the time being.

I have downloaded ERIKA and I could see the ..../druid/eclipse/plugins/com.eu.evidence.ee_2.4.0.20141105_0021 folder.

What next? Can somebody help

Thanks
Alex

alex35711

Re: how to port to imx53 / cortex-a8 using GCC / command-lin

Post by alex35711 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:19 pm

Replying to myself :
an UPDATE --
Following your wikis on "...getting started....build...first application.." I am able to build a project based on the STM32F4 template, by pointing the GCC compiler path to = "where i HAD downloaded Linaro...gcc-arm-none-eabi-4_7-2013q1.."

....[snip]....
Build success saying
ibee.a
LD
OBJCOPY
Compilation terminated successfully!

20:38:17 Build Finished (took 5s.392ms)

May be someone can take it from here and explain what to do next. I already have some boot-code ready for this board, based on uboot startup code. I just need to know, where to plugin this code, which linker scripts to modify, and build an OS elf file from command line.
Thanks Alex

paolo.gai
Administrator

Re: how to port to imx53 / cortex-a8 using GCC / command-lin

Post by paolo.gai » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:33 am

Hi!

Thanks for your post!

Where to start...

- is OIL really needed? ... really good question. In reality, yes. Why? Because ERIKA was meant initially to be minimal, with everything possible allocated in Flash. A minimal build of erika on a small machine can be less than 1Kb and a few bytes of RAM. OIL is one of the ways devised by the Automotive guys to create a static configuration. Basically, OIL creates a pre-initialized kernel data structure for you. There is not an equivalent of pthread_create, everything exists since the beginning.

- I know the previous point is quite strange for a Linux developer, but that is. In reality we could write a simple kernel which does NOT need the OIL file. Soon or later (I always say since a few years) I'll build the Shark kernel over the ERIKA HAL (it does not need OIL)... but sincerely my daughter is taking all my free time for now :-)

- About Cortex A: We are going to release (hopefully by Christmas if Bruno has some free time) the development environment Arianna Avanzini presented at Cloudcon (http://lccoelce14.sched.org/speaker/ariava#.VIQAoDGG-zk). Basically it is ERIKA on a Cortex A15 as a domU in XEN. Look also at the SVN, it has a CPU which is Cortex A.

- also look at the pre-built virtual machines on http://www.erika-enterprise.com

- note eclipse and the packages are there because:
- the OIL compiler (RT-Druid) is based on eclipse
- we packaged ERIKA as an Eclipse plugin to help users upgrading the system
- the Cortex-M virtual machine should be configured to use a repository in the user home and not the pre-packaged plugins

- Then look at the following pages
http://erika.tuxfamily.org/wiki/index.p ... controller

which should give some help for portings.

I guess that's all for a first mail... Welcome!

Ciao,

PJ